opera.general

Re: Opera and video...

Subject: Re: Opera and video...
From: Alan Pollock
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 07:19:43 +0000 UTC
Newsgroups: opera.general
Gandalf <gandalf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Alan Pollock wrote:

> > I mainly use VLC, the very best in my opinion because it sports functions
> > and
> > options the other players only see in their wet dreams.

> Just a tad limited for my uses.
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^

I think there are always going to be certain functions that one player does
better than the others, but in the area of versatility of functions and
options, vlc shines. All one has to do is go to prefs, turn on 'advanced
options' and look around. Lots to see. In the playlist menu there's the
shoutcast discovery service (complete with search) as one example. The stream
output section is another. An impressive program available for linux as well
as windows and pocketpc (probably mobile 5 too, haven't checked). And lots of
plugins for vlc out there.

On the cpu front, I've tried all the popular players under XP (including BS)
on several machines and laptops and found vlc to use the least amount of cpu
by quite a bit, whether it's inhaling from flash, hd, cd or dvd. (didn't test
net streams but heard it's cpu-economical there too). Economy's important to
me on my laptop since I do find myself at the end of my batt's tether from
time to time. Nex