opera.general

Delay while "looking up" web site IP address

Subject: Delay while "looking up" web site IP address
From: Jane D
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 14:01:57 GMT
Newsgroups: opera.general
Something has changed on my system.

When I launch opera and start browsing I find that Opera shows a
staus message which says:

        looking up www.google.com

But this is shown for about 3 or 4 seconds, presumably as that domain
name is translated into an IP address.  Then suddenly it is ok and
subsequent websites are looked up very quickly.

Is this pause something to do with some Opera setting?

I have fiddled with Opera's Network Preferences and in particular
with "max connections to server" (I have currently got 4) and "max
total connections" (I have got 16).

I have also played with "Browser Identification" set to something
other than Opera.

Any ideas?