opera.general

Re: Annoyance in Opera built-in news-reader.

Subject: Re: Annoyance in Opera built-in news-reader.
From: "Brian L Johnson"
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:46:49 +0100
Newsgroups: opera.general
Peter Boulding wrote:

Re: news/e-mail clients
<snip>
I cannot, however, see the point of integrating both or either with a web
browser, which shares few functions

Look at Thunderbird. It has a virtually complete Gecko rendering engine inside it and, as a consequence, is as large an app as a Gecko-based browser. And it gobbles system resources to match.

By contrast, the email/news additions to the Opera browser have only added a couple of hundred KB because they share so much underlying code. In fact, when the M2.DLL truly was a separate entity, it really was only 2 or 3 hundred KB. And, AIR, the Opera devs said that they were glad that they incorporated the DLL into the EXE because they could then remove the linking code that hooked the DLL and that saved them an extra few ten's of KB. <g>

and requires different understanding and skill sets from the developers.

Opera Software have already said that they have hired people specifically to code for M2. I see no problem with that.

--
-blj-