opera.general

Re: Some SmallScreen views are wa-ay wide

Subject: Re: Some SmallScreen views are wa-ay wide
From: Eik
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:11:40 +0100
Newsgroups: opera.general
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 18:21:45 +0100, Brian L Johnson <no.email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

sometimes going to View|SmallScreen (Shift-F11) doesn't adjust the width of the viewing window.

That's usually because the page has a handheld stylesheet so Opera renders it normally, trusting the stylesheet to render things well on its own.

it doesn't seem to be working because it still has horizontal scrollbars.

It renders fine here in SSR mode but I see that the page uses many nested lists, each of which has its own left margin to cause the indenting. It's possible such lists could cause side scrolling because deeply nested items will end up with a huge indent that pushes the content off the screen.

For handlehd stylesheets I prefer to use no visible indent for the first list and only a few pixels of indent for nested lists, with different bullet types to indicate each level. The only reason I indent at all is because some users may not realise that a series of disc bullets with some circle bullets in the middle (all in one column) mean that the circles are an offshoot of the previous disc.

--
Using Opera's revolutionary Email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/