opera.general

java applet very slow, probably due to java console

Subject: java applet very slow, probably due to java console
From: Peter Mutsaers
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:46:47 +0200
Newsgroups: opera.general
Hello,

I use the latest java VM (5.x), and some applets are very slow. My
(fast) CPU goes to 100% only by using the applet. When I run the
applet in IE or Firefox, they are very fast and no CPU hogging can be
determined.

This applet can be accessed on
http://www.ticket2ridegame.com/index.php?t=playtt, I think a
registration is needed. The applet in case is writing lots of messages
to stdout and/or stderr, i.e. is writing to the java console
constantly.

I have the feeling that performance improves when I open the java
console and clear it all the time. I.e. it seems like slowness is
caused by the fact that Java is actually writing into the java console
all the time, even when it is not visible.

IE and Firefox use the java console from Sun. Opera has its own java
console. I suspect there is a severe performance with it. Question:
is it possible to disable opera's java console?

--
Peter Mutsaers, Dübendorf, Switzerland.