opera.general

Re: Advert banner in Opera8.5?

Subject: Re: Advert banner in Opera8.5?
From: "Steven V. Gunhouse"
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 23:32:40 GMT
Newsgroups: opera.general
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 10:52:32 -0400, Josef W. Segur <jsegur@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:32:52 +0100, "Danny@Kendal" <danny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"Spartanicus" <invalid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:lp45j1htk7nsehq7olgrqoh6qfpkqgnaka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Danny@Kendal" <danny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Is there a way to enable the advert banner in Opera8.5?

No, I believe that the code that produced it has been purged.

I miss it. Slightly sick, I know, but sometimes it would bring up useful
links which I wouldn't otherwise have found.

There is very little difference between 8.5 and 8.02, so you can stick
with 8.02 if you prefer.

Thanks for the info. Ah well, not to worry.

A bookmarklet can get the same information:

javascript:void(window.open('http://pagead-us.googlesyndication.com/pagead/
ads?oe=utf-8&client=ca-opera_468x60&format=468x60&alternate_ad_url=http://
textads.opera.com/ads/?format=468x60&channel=802+en&url='+escape(location),
'RADS','location=no,status=yes,menubar=no,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes,
width=468,height=175'))", 1,, "Zoom"

(All on one line)

I'm no JavaScript expert, I hacked that from capturing what Opera 8.02 sends
combined with other bookmarklets. Perhaps someone with better skills can
improve it, but it works for me.

Needs some close parentheses, or something. It should end with one or two parentheses maybe followed by a semicolon. Looking closer, I suppose the double quote and everything after that isn't valid.

I don't know js either, but I'm a mathematician and can recognize bad syntax.