opera.general

Re: Hebrew

Subject: Re: Hebrew
From: John Chambers
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 00:00:44 -0400
Newsgroups: opera.general
John Chambers wrote:

Okay, so ÃâÃâàÃâÃÅÃÂÃÂÃË ÃâÃÂÃÅÃâÃâÃÅ is correct? Interesting... try saving the doc
and loading it in Word.  Or viewing the source and comparing it with
Netscape's.

Save as with Images, opened in Word, and it is fine!

Okay then I have no idea! I do notice that the bit that I pasted above is munged though...

Well, that's weird! When I go back and look at the original of that garbage,
it's normal, readable Hebrew.  It said ""×× ××××× ××××××, which I copied to
this Thunderbird mailer's window with no problem.  It seems to have first
turned to garbage in Sanford Aranoff's reply.

We'll see how long it lasts in my message ...

I found what might be a clue.  When I read my message from the newsgroup,
I noticed that the double quote that I put after the Hebrew string (and before
the comma) had jumped to before the Hebrew string.  The Hebrew looked fine,
though.

Just for a laugh, I told Thunderbird to use the 8859-1 charset.  The Hebrew
immediately turned to the same junk that I see in the "Okay, so ... is correct?"
line above.  I changed the charset back to UTF-8, and the Hebrew was OK.

So it looks like something on Mr Aranoff's machine is interpreting the UTF-8
Hebrew  as 8859-1 text.  At least, that explains the conversion of the Hebrew
to this particular garbage in the messages here.