opera.general

Re: Changing provider problem.....

Subject: Re: Changing provider problem.....
From: Peter Boulding
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 17:27:02 +0100
Newsgroups: opera.general
On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:53:18 +0200, "Rijk van Geijtenbeek" <rijk@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote in <op.svtaa4znicz8n2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>Some ISPs don't allow you to login to their POP server from outside the
>network, which means when using internet access from another ISP. I don't
>know if that is the case with Wanadoo. Many more don't allow use of their
>SMTP server to send mail from outside their network. And if you terminate
>your account with Wanadoo, of course you can't login there anyway,
>whatever policy they have. You could use Gmail for your mail, it offers
>POP access and you can create multiple accounts.

I don't know about Wanadoo in the Netherlands but I'd assume that their
masters (France Telecom) apply much the same policies everywhere and that
what works in the UK will work there. If so, they'll allow POP3 access from
any ISP's network. The cancellation of an unmetered, fixed-monthly-payment
modem or DSL account will not cause the account itself to be closed, but
merely downgraded to a metered dial-up account. Failure to dial in at least
once every 90 days will, however, prevent access - whether via dial-up to
Wanadoo or (for POP3 purposes) from another ISP.

RoMa should check with Wanadoo now while the accounts are still alive, or
ask about this in one of the wanadoo.nl.* newsgroups.

--
Regards
Peter Boulding