opera.beta

Re: XML encoding guessing

Subject: Re: XML encoding guessing
From: Spartanicus
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 12:55:50 GMT
Newsgroups: opera.beta
Christoph Schneegans <Christoph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Why does 8414 render
>>> <http://schneegans.de/sv/test-cases/?case=meta-only-encoding>? That
>>> document is served as "application/xml", but is not well-formed XML
>>
>> It is well formed.
>
>No, it isn't, see <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#IDAY3EU>: "Unless an
>encoding is determined by a higher-level protocol, it is also a fatal
>error if an XML entity contains no encoding declaration and its content
>is not legal UTF-8 or UTF-16." This rule is so self-evident.

Where does it state that this or all fatal error(s) means that a
document is not well formed?

There is the requirement to report a fatal error to the application, and
the application must not continue normal processing, but that's
different from what you claim.

>>> However, Opera does not only ignore the well-formedness violation,
>>> but also seems to pay attention to the "meta" element and uses
>>> ISO-8859-1 encoding.
>>
>> Opera uses windows-1252, it ignores the meta element.
>
>That's no proof.

I changed the encoding declared in the meta element from  iso-8859-1 to
iso-8859-15 and reloaded from cache, Opera's info panel information
didn't change, which suggests that the meta element is ignored.

--
Spartanicus