netbsd-java@netbsd.org

Re: openjdk7 in pkgsrc

Subject: Re: openjdk7 in pkgsrc
From: Geert Hendrickx
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 11:38:07 +0200
On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 10:01:55AM +0200, Tobias Nygren wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Oct 2009 08:09:25 +0200
> Geert Hendrickx <ghen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 05:35:47PM -0400, matthew sporleder wrote:
> > > Java should have a fontdir set and by default tends to look at x font
> > > server or in some standard locations like /usr/share/fonts/font
> > > (something like that). You are probably just seeing the six default awt
> > > fonts.  Check out java_home/jre/lib for more font stuff in java.
> > >
> > > Pkgsrc could create a new font config file to look in pkgdirs, but I
> > > think the binary format is proprietary or something.
> >

> > Interestingly, the 1.5/1.6 JDK's ship their own fonts under jre/lib/fonts/
> > (Lucida* fonts) while openjdk7 doesn't.  It has a fontconfig.properties.src
> > file which is configured with DejaVu instead, and refers to absolute font
> > paths (for Fedora Core 6 according to a comment in the file).  Changing the
> > paths there doesn't help, I guess the binary fontconfig.bfc must somehow be
> > regenerated from it.
>
> Indeed, the ugly looking fonts are a known problem. You can probably
> remove the .bfc file and put a .properties there instead, but I'm not
> sure.
>
> If you "make extract" in openjdk7, then some clues may be found in:
> ${WRKDIR}/icedtea-175529fae103/patches/icedtea-fonts.patch It's an update
> to the font configuration from FC6 to FC9 according to the comment. I
> guess we need something similar.

We're using bsd.fontconfig.properties which is apparantly (mostly) just a
copy of linux.fontconfig.Fedora.properties.  The attached patch fixes it,
ok to commit?

I'm not sure whether we should explicitly depend on the used fonts though.
I've added a dependency on DejaVu (covers a lot of scripts, including
Latin) and a commented one on ja-sazanami-ttf (Japanese) and baekmuk-ttf
(Korean).  The Chinese fonts are not in pkgsrc and I have no idea which
could replace them. :-)

        Geert

--
Geert Hendrickx  -=-  ghen@xxxxxxxxxx  -=-  PGP: 0xC4BB9E9F