netbsd-help@netbsd.org

Re: sluggish system response during ssh-filetransfer

Subject: Re: sluggish system response during ssh-filetransfer
From: "Thomas Feddersen"
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 09:29:44 +0200
Am 07.10.2006, 17:10 Uhr, schrieb Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Can you properly ping the box ? open a ssh connection ? resolve hostnames ?

To me it looks like a DNS issue: while you're running the transfers over
the DSL line it's overloaded, and DNS queries can take a long time.
The solution would be to run a caching nameserver locally.

Yes, I can ping the server and open a ssh connection using its IP-number. My little LAN (one private subnet, less than eight computers) has no DNS service, the router (which hosts the DHCP service) only forwards DNS-queries to the InternetServiceProvider.

Thanks for your advice, I'd like to try it. Can you please recommend a suitable software /package?

Kind Regards
Thomas