Re: Nautilus as a drop target

Subject: Re: Nautilus as a drop target
From: Damien Moore
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 23:27:57 -0500
Ok. I have implemented XDS in my photo manager.

I have two problems, which makes me pretty sure this isn't what I want:
1/ If my drag source is a selection of images, is there a way to
specify that I plan to write more than one file? (it seems kind of
hackish to lie to the FileManager that I'm only going to save one file
and then proceed to dump a whole selection).

2/ This is more of an interesting aside, but if my source target list
looks like this:
[('XdndDirectSave0', 0, 1), ('text/uri-list', 0, 2)]
then Nautilus appears to choose 'text/uri-list'. Is this a nautilus bug?[1]

btw, does anyone know what nautilus does with the uris in
'text/uri-list'? As far as I can tell it does nothing... (just from
experimentation, I haven't looked at the nautilus code) but on the
other hand, gthumb seems to have solved this problem as images dragged
from gthumb to nautilus are copied fine.

[1] from the XDS description at http://www.newplanetsoftware.com/xds/ :
"When the file manager received XdndDrop, it should first check for
XdndDirectSave. If this is not provided, it should fall back on
Also, if anyone wants to play replicate this, the sample at
http://rodney.id.au/dev/gnome/an-xds-example is helpful. try inserting
"targets=gtk.target_list_add_uri_targets(targets,1)" after line 51 of
the python source
nautilus-list mailing list