napub@nfbnet.org

Re: [napub] Reading speed

Subject: Re: [napub] Reading speed
From: "Kathleen A. Millhoff"
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 11:20:07 +1000
hi,
great thread;
i went to schools for the blind until my senior year so was not just
immersed but inundated with braille; when they couldn't find me in class,
i'd be hiding behind a bookshelf in the library with a book - wish all my
school related infractions were so innocuous.
Anyway, this was long, long ago and I got my braille reading speed up to 180
words a minute.  it mightn't be that high these days, but i'm much better at
skimming and scanning due to volumes i have to regularly read.
tactile literacy - it's way, way more than decoding; blind kids don't get it
much anymore but sure need it.  it includes understanding all the
two-dimentional stuff: math, charts, graphs, maps, figures, skematics, etc.
then, of course, since public/formal education really has become more visual
in scope, literacy has to include all the meaning-making that goes into
presentations at school (think Powerpoint),  and their interpretation.

Sorry to have gone on and on like this; the students are heavy on my mind
today.
Thanks for reading but i now need a nap.
best to all,
kat