napub@nfbnet.org

Re: [napub] Reading speed

Subject: Re: [napub] Reading speed
From: "Sheila Amato"
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 19:12:14 -0500
Thank you all for the validation of this important skill.

I'm a TVI who practices braille reading with my students... all sorts of
reading. We work on skimming to get the gist of the text, we work on reading
for comprehension, and we work on reading faster and faster by re-reading
the same short stories and passages. I always try to find or create reading
material that is of interest for my students. I've created one page
biographies of wrestlers, and we're working on creating a joke and riddle
book together. (We got this idea after going through the Bell and Clapper
joke books).

I am encouraged by the validation from all of you that reading at 60 wpm is
inadequate, and that our students should be held to higher standards.

My 8 year old student who reads braille placed in the top 12 students in his
grade at the national level last year in the Braille Challenge, and my high
school senior placed in the top 6 nationwide in braille reading,
proofreading, spelling, speed writing, and interpreting graphs, charts and
maps. Yes, it is possible. We have to make it happen.

Sheila