Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities

Subject: Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Online Communities
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 12:14:41 -0700 UTC
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
Date 5/4/2010
Starting in early summer 2010, Microsoft will begin progressively closing down
the Microsoft public newsgroups to enrich conversations in the rapidly-growing
forum platform.  This decision is in response to worldwide market trends and
evolving customer needs.

Microsoft continues to invest in forums to reduce customer effort, consolidate
community venues and make it easier for active contributors to retain their
influence. Forums provide a healthy community environment with less spam and
make answers easier to find by customers and search engines.  Additionally,
forums offer a better user and off-topic management platform that will improve
customer satisfaction by facilitating discussions in a clean space.

We understand that some newsgroups are still active, and important to the
community.  In the coming days and weeks, we will be rolling out tools and
resources to minimize disruption to the community discussions.

We are working diligently on providing additional resources and information in
local languages later this week.  In the meantime, please refer to the official
Microsoft Newsgroup website concerning this
issue.  The Microsoft Newsgroup website will be made available in additional
languages in the next few days.