Setting up email for Operator in SQL2000 - ERROR

Subject: Setting up email for Operator in SQL2000 - ERROR
From: Ant
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 00:08:00 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
Hi,
I'm trying to set up an Email name for an operator to be used inSQL Agent.

When I test the Email Name, I get an error:

Error 22022: SQL Server Agent Error: The SQL Server Agent Mail session is
not running: Check the mail profile and/or the SQL Server Agent Service
startup account in the SQL Server Agent Properties dialog box.

I have setup a non human account in AD called sqlmail. I can send email from
it no problem.

I have tried both using sqlmail & its pwd as the Service Startup account &
also tried using the System account. Neither of these seem to work.
I have also added [email protected] as the Mail Profile

but always get the same error.

Would anybody know what is going wrong here. I'd be most appreciative if
somebody could help out on this one.

Many thanks
Ant