Required information could not be retrieved from the registry

Subject: Required information could not be retrieved from the registry
From: JussiS
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 06:52:01 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
Registering instance fails and gives the following message: "Required
information could not be retrieved from the registry". I have defined an
instance and when trying to register it and creating a windows service, it
fails. Registering the instance succeeds in the first task "Updating registry
entries", but fails in the following task "Installing Windows Service". I
used my network credentials (I'm also local administrator) as the account for
the service. I have SQL server 2005 and Windows Vista Business. I'm running
SQL Server Mgmt Studio as administrator.

Actual things that I made were from the tutorial from the following book:
Chapter 13 - Introduction to Notification Services
Microsoft SQL Server 2005: Applied Techniques Step by Step
by Solid Quality Learning
Microsoft Press  2006