Re: Rogue NS instance

Subject: Re: Rogue NS instance
From: Joe Webb
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 06:13:31 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 02:57:44 -0700, Maria wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I created a new Notifiction Service, and stopped it halfway through
> creation as I realised I hadn't saved an ADF file. Now the NS
> databases appear to have been partially created, and I can't delete
> the instance because it doesn't appear in the list in Server Explorer.
> I tried to delete it with nscontrol, but it claims the instance does
> not exist. However if I try to create a new instance, it fails because
> the instance already exists! If I choose List Versions from the
> Notification Services right-click menu, my instance is in there.
> Any clues? I've only been developing NS for a couple of days, am I
> missing something obvious? I'm more curious than anything really, it's
> easy enough for me to change the instance name!
> Thanks
> Maria

Hi Maria -

In SQL Server 2005, SSNS instances are tracked in the msdb database. Try
deleting the instance row in msdb.NS90.NSInstanceInfo and the application
row in msdb.NS90.NSApplicationInfo tables. Afterward you should be able to
create your instance again.

There's a bit more information about this on my blog.

Joe Webb
SQL Server MVP