Workable solution for custom subscriptions/subscribers?

From: "BigDave"
Date: 8 Dec 2006 14:06:47 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
Dear all,

We would like to take advantage of most of NS 2005's capabilities,
*except* for it's management of subscriptions and subscribers.  (We
have our own custom DB with subscriptions and subscribers.)

My plan for doing this is to create just two subscribers in NS - a
"dummy" EmailChannel subscriber, and a "dummy" SMSChannel subscriber.

Then, for a given event, my EventRule will query all of my custom
subscribers and all of the custom fields that I need.  For the
Notifications view SubscriberID field: if the subscriber wants Email,
I'll use the dummy EmailChannel user; if the subscriber wants SMS, I'll
use the dummy SMSChannel subscriber.

Do you think this is workable?  Do you think that by "short-circuiting"
NS's subscriptions/subscriber management that I'll lose out (e.g. but
losing traceablity of the SubscriberID in logs/report or in some other
way)?

Thanks in advance,
Dave