UTC & daylight savings/standard time

Subject: UTC & daylight savings/standard time
From: "rand"
Date: 7 Nov 2006 16:54:00 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
We manage tasks through NS.  We explicitly store our
Subscription.ScheduleStart time as UTC.  Perhaps we were convinced from
the documentation that shifts from daylight savings time to standard
(and vice versa) would be handled correctly (I wasn't involved in
initial design).  At any rate, with the switch to standard time, all of
our tasks are off by an hour.  Not too surprising, a task originally
stored to run at 1:00 AM localtime now runs at midnight, since 0800Z is
still stored.  8:00 AM UTC used to be 1:00 AM local, now it's 12:00 AM

Short of rewriting many layers of our app to perhaps store
ScheduleStart in localtime, how can this be fixed?  I can think of a
few options:
  a)delete all tasks and reenter; really just a workaround, problem
will occur again in 6 months

  b)write a utility to fix-up the entries in NS.  Ideally we could
iterate through Subscriptions, adjust the new time, and call Update().

  c)some other solution???  We set a magic flag that results in
automatic adjustments to the stored UTC time, based on changing to
standard time.  Wishful thinking, this...

Your advice is most welcome.