Can't use local SMTP Service for emails....

Subject: Can't use local SMTP Service for emails....
From: matt roberts
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:31:41 +0000 UTC
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
Hi,

Shyams Pather's book for SSNS says that you can use the local SMTP service to debug email notifications, and make sure that all is working OK.
Unfourtunately, I can't get it to work for me, does anyone out there have
any experience using it in SSNS? I am using SSNS 2005, and as per the instructions,
I have set the DeliveryChannel up with a blank SMTPServer as follows:
   <DeliveryChannel>
     <DeliveryChannelName>SMTPChannel</DeliveryChannelName>
     <ProtocolName>SMTP</ProtocolName>
     <Arguments>
       <Argument>
         <Name>SmtpServer</Name>
         <Value></Value>
       </Argument>
       <Argument>
         <Name>Bod oding</Name>
         <Value>utf-8</Value>
       </Argument>
     </Arguments>
   </DeliveryChannel>

Also as per the instructions, I stop my local SMTP Service (which is supposed to make it stick the emails in c:\inetpub\mailroot\pickup), but when I generate an email notirication I get this in the event log instead:
EventParameters:
SMTP Server: Message Recipients: myemailadresshere

InstanceName: MyInstance
Component: Other
ComponentDetails: ComponentName: SmtpProtocol

Any ideas? I have also tried starting the SMTP service, and also specifying my actual computer name in the SmtpServer setting instead.....
Thanks in advance

Matt