Re: Can't use local SMTP Service for emails....

Subject: Re: Can't use local SMTP Service for emails....
From: matt roberts
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 13:29:24 +0000 UTC
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
Hello Joe,

Thanks for the info.

Actually got it to "work". By leaving the SmtpServer value blank, stopping the SMTP service, and making sure that the windows service account is a member of the local admins, that seems to do the trick - the "pending" emails are stored in the pickup folder where they can be read.
:)

Matt.

Make sure you machine name is resolvable by DNS - or try putting in
127.0.0.1 or your actual IP address.

There was a problem in earlier versions of the .net framework that
required the NS$InstanceName service to be a member of the local
administrators group. I think that's been resolved now, but you may
want to try adding it to the group to eliminate that as a possibility

HTH...

~~~
Get up to speed quickly with SQLNS
(www.sqlpass.org)

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:31:41 +0000 (UTC), matt roberts
<[email protected]> wrote:

Hi,

Shyams Pather's book for SSNS says that you can use the local SMTP
service to debug email notifications, and make sure that all is
working OK.

Unfourtunately, I can't get it to work for me, does anyone out there
have any experience using it in SSNS? I am using SSNS 2005, and as
per the instructions, I have set the DeliveryChannel up with a blank
SMTPServer as follows:

<DeliveryChannel>
<DeliveryChannelName>SMTPChannel</DeliveryChannelName>
<ProtocolName>SMTP</ProtocolName>
<Arguments>
<Argument>
<Name>SmtpServer</Name>
<Value></Value>
</Argument>
<Argument>
<Name>Bod oding</Name>
<Value>utf-8</Value>
</Argument>
</Arguments>
</DeliveryChannel>
Also as per the instructions, I stop my local SMTP Service (which is
supposed to make it stick the emails in c:\inetpub\mailroot\pickup),
but when I generate an email notirication I get this in the event log
instead:

------------
EventParameters:
SMTP Server:
Message Recipients: myemailadresshere

invocation. Description: The "SendUsing" configuration value is
invalid.

InstanceName: MyInstance
Component: Other
ComponentDetails: ComponentName: SmtpProtocol
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. ----------

Any ideas? I have also tried starting the SMTP service, and also
specifying my actual computer name in the SmtpServer setting
instead.....

Thanks in advance

Matt