Re: Instance name for SQL 2005

Subject: Re: Instance name for SQL 2005
From: Joe Webb
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 06:22:04 -0600
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
The backslash character is rather special. It is used to separate an
machine name from a named instance of SQL Server. For example the
default instance of SQL Server on a computer called ASPEN can be
reached by simply using ASPEN. However to connect to an SQL Server
instance named SS2005 on ASPEN, you'd use the following name
ASPEN\SS2005. These are SQL Server instances, not SQLNS instances .

As for SQLNS, the instance name is used as a basis for name many other
objects in the databases and as such you should refrain from including
characters in your instance name that are not allowed for naming
objects in SQLNS.  BOL says to keep  /, \, [, ], ", and ' out of your
instance name.

Joe Webb
SQL Server MVP

Get up to speed quickly with SQLNS

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 09:57:22 +0530, "Gouri" <[email protected]>