Re: Looking to subscribe "roles" rather than "users"

From: matt roberts
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2006 08:37:09 +0000 UTC
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
Hello Joe & CoreyB,

Thanks for the reply. I like the simplicity of the exhange idea, but........unfourtunately creating exchange distribution lists won't work for this app. The reason is that its a web app that we provide to many customers, who install it onn their intranet. We have no control over these intranets, and cannot setup distribution lists on any of them. Also, the "roles" change quite often, as people come and go in the application, so it create a big overhead to sync the exhchange distributions with them.
Another idea I am considering is to get my web app to pass all the emails
in the event when it passes one to SSNS. That way, I could allow all users
to subscribe to the notification, and then only send out notifications when:
"subsriber.emailaddress IN event.allemailaddresses"....
Does that sound feasible?
Thanks!
Matt.

Hi Matt -

Thanks for the kind words regarding a previous post of mine!   :)

CoreyB's suggestion of creating an Exchange distribution list for your
roles would be the easiest solution to implement. That way the
subscriber and associated subscriptions would accurately reflect what
you want to have happen.

Will that work for you?

HTH...

~~~
Get up to speed quickly with SQLNS
(www.sqlpass.org)

On 8 Mar 2006 08:53:41 -0800, "CoreyB" <[email protected]> wrote:

My suggestion would be to tack on something in your mail system
(exchange, groupwise, etc. whatever you're using) to have these
"roles" existing as email lists.  User1, User2, User3 could be
grouped in EmailList1 in exchange.  Then in notification services,
the subscriber device would be the email address for EmailList1.
This would be easier than doing a custom delivery protocol.

Or maybe if you don't have exchange or similar, you can setup
forwarders on your email server to forward all messages to EmailList1
to User1, User2, User3.

matt roberts wrote:

Hi all,

I'm starting designing a SSNS application to support our own web
based app. I've just got the Shyam book for SSNS 2005, which looks
pretty good so far. Anyway, I have a specific requirement that is
making me nervous, and I would appreciate any responses:

In our web app, we have users and roles. A role is a group of users,
for example "Data Inputters", or "Auditors". As part of the SSNS
solution, I need to be able to "subscribe" roles as well as users.
So for example all "Auditors" want to be notified when a record
appears in table X.

I've not seen any examples of this in the book or in the books
online. In mulling over how this could be done, so far I can only
think of the following solution:

1) Subscribe a "dummy" user, (my role)
2) Create a custom delivery protocol, that takes notifications
destined for
my role subscriber, and instead passes the notification on to all
users who
are members of that role.
But this solution "feels" wrong to me, quite complex to develop and
maybe even not possible.

I've looked through the existing posts here, and a few posts seem to
be quite similar but don't seem to provide a way forward. A very
helpful chap called Joe Webb wrote this in response to a similar
posting:

That's true. SQLNS is a develoment framework so you cannot really
pick

and choose what portions you'd like to implement.

However, in many (or most) cases you can pretty easily integrate
SQLNS

into your existing process with little duplication.

For instance, since you already have your data in a specific table,
you

can use that information as the basis for your events.

So I'm wondering if this means that since I already have and
maintain a table
of users, and details about which users live in which roles, then
somehow
I can tell SSNS to use this data....or perhaps I got that wrong.
Any thoughts/opinions appreciated!

Matt Roberts
http://www.geekswithblogs.net/mattrobertsblog