Looking to subscribe "roles" rather than "users"

From: matt roberts
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 15:23:20 +0000 UTC
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
Hi all,

I'm starting designing a SSNS application to support our own web based app. I've just got the Shyam book for SSNS 2005, which looks pretty good so far. Anyway, I have a specific requirement that is making me nervous, and I would appreciate any responses:
In our web app, we have users and roles. A role is a group of users, for
example "Data Inputters", or "Auditors". As part of the SSNS solution, I
need to be able to "subscribe" roles as well as users. So for example all
"Auditors" want to be notified when a record appears in table X.
I've not seen any examples of this in the book or in the books online. In
mulling over how this could be done, so far I can only think of the following
solution:
1) Subscribe a "dummy" user, (my role)
2) Create a custom delivery protocol, that takes notifications destined for my role subscriber, and instead passes the notification on to all users who are members of that role.
But this solution "feels" wrong to me, quite complex to develop and maybe
even not possible.
I've looked through the existing posts here, and a few posts seem to be quite
similar but don't seem to provide a way forward. A very helpful chap called
Joe Webb wrote this in response to a similar posting:
That's true. SQLNS is a develoment framework so you cannot really pick
and choose what portions you'd like to implement.
However, in many (or most) cases you can pretty easily integrate SQLNS
into your existing process with little duplication.
For instance, since you already have your data in a specific table, you
can use that information as the basis for your events.

So I'm wondering if this means that since I already have and maintain a table of users, and details about which users live in which roles, then somehow I can tell SSNS to use this data....or perhaps I got that wrong.
Any thoughts/opinions appreciated!

Matt Roberts
http://www.geekswithblogs.net/mattrobertsblog