Various questions....updating instance, vacuuming, and emails....

Subject: Various questions....updating instance, vacuuming, and emails....
Date: 2 Mar 2006 07:52:31 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
1.  When you update an instance and tables get new columns, etc. - say
for example you update a subscription class.  Is any data lost?  Are
tables dropped & readded?  I had a situation where I updated my
instance, and some new tables were created called
NS<subscriptionclass>Old.  Then they weren't purged during the update.
Then when I updated the instance again, the update failed b/c it was
trying to create these "Old" tables again but they were never dropped
on the first update.

2.  Vacuuming - anyone want to give a brief 101 on this?  How long
event data stays present, how long till it's purged?  I'm assuming it's
a setting you can adjust in the ADF, but haven't looked yet.

3.  Should I check the DeviceAddress column in the NSSubscriberDevice
view, via my subscription management, to see if an email address
already exists before I add it again?  I'm trying to plan for if
someone registers under accountname1/emailaddress1, and then they come
back and create another account under accountname2/emailaddress1.