nscontrol register - error....help!!

Subject: nscontrol register - error....help!!
Date: 21 Feb 2006 13:43:19 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
OK - for testing I have the following setup....

The NS databases, distributor, generator, windows service, etc. is all
on my PC - we'll call it Instance1 - the machine can be called
Instance1Machine.  I want to install the client tools and register
Instance1 on another machine (without installing a service there -
example at BOL at
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms162762.aspx ).  That 2nd
machine is going to act as a subscription management interface.  The
two machines sit in different domains (which I know may be a problem,
but it's the only machine I could find).

I first added an alias to the Instance1 SQL machine.

So I try this & registration is successful.

nscontrol register -name Instance1 -server Instance1Machine

But then when I view the status I get this:

SqlServerError:
  Source: .Net SqlClient Data Provider
  Number: 10061
  State: 0
  Class: 20
  Server:
  Message: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the
server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused
by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow
remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - No connection
could be made because the target machine actively refused it.)

I've got remote connections enabled on Instance1Machine SQL box.  Why
can't I connect from my subscription machine to the NS instance
machine???