Re: Application data - where to add

Subject: Re: Application data - where to add
From: Joe Webb
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 08:02:38 -0600
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
Hi -

>I want to take the basic NS application and expand a single table
>to allow for additional fields in the application. So, I'm thinking of going
>back into the ADF and editing that config to include these fields.
Sure, you can modify the event schema so that it stores additional
inforamation. However keep this excerpt from BOL in mind:

<BOL>
If you add or delete fields, updating the application deletes and
re-creates the event class. This includes dropping and re-creating the
SQL Server tables and indexes used by this event class. Any data
existing in the original event class tables is permanently deleted.
</BOL>

>Now, given that we want these enhanced events to stay in the database
>forever, and not be purged by NS, and given that the same records will be
>called on by another application used by subscribers after their
>notifications are received, is the best idea to just expand the events table
>by modifying the ADF?
The Vacuumer will clean up the events table using the schedule that
you've created so that may not be the best place to keep information
that you'd like to retain forever. You may want to consider keeping
the information in a Chron table.

HTH...

--
Joe Webb