Re: SQL NS Books

Subject: Re: SQL NS Books
From: Joe Webb
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 19:17:02 -0600
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
Hi -

SQLNS 2005 is a natural extension of the prior version. And as such
the main concepts of events, subscribers, subscriptions, and
notifications remain unchanged in the newer version. So does the
development methodology and general framework.

There are however, some pretty significant improvements in the newer
version. Better performance, GUI interface, Management API, a new
Analysis Services API to name but a few.

The one change that most affects existing v2.0 instances is the
obsolence of the Notify() function; it's replaced with views that
simply the process of developing the matching rules (and improves
performance too).

I've blog about the Top 10 improvements here:
http://sqlns.blogspot.com/2005/10/whats-new-in-sqlns-2005.html

Here's a blog that describes the difference in creating matching rules
in v2.0 and SQLNS 2005:
http://sqlns.blogspot.com/2005/10/fond-farewell-to-notify.html

This blog demonstrates how to create subscribers in v2.0:
http://sqlns.blogspot.com/2005/09/creating-subscribers-in-v20.html

While in this blog, I demonstrate creating subscribers in SQLNS 2005:
http://sqlns.blogspot.com/2005/10/creating-subscribers-in-2005.html

Hope you find these useful!

Joe

--