Re: how hard to set up cellphone delivery channel

Subject: Re: how hard to set up cellphone delivery channel
From: "Andy Wilbourn"
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 06:23:28 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
Do you need real SMS or just sending text to phone? Our solution is using
SMTP addresses to send to cell phones. We did define two different
DeviceTypeName for subscriber devices so we can get a different stylesheet
template applied, we don't send as must in the message to cell phones.

This was we use the built in SMTP feature to handle the work for us. You can
write your own DeliveryChannel if need be with out a lot of difficultly. We
have a component that writes to MSMQ, mostly taken from the example in
Shyam's book on NS. BOL has an example of writing one to call a stored proc.

Data in our <InstanceName>NSMain.dbo.NSSubscriberDevices table would like
the following:
SubscriberID    DeviceName    DeviceTypeName    DeviceAddress
DeliveryChannel
test1                 SMTP1            SMTP
[email protected]      SMTPChannel (as per ICF below)
test1                 Mobile1            MobileEmail
[email protected]    SMTPChannel

ICF settings:
<DeliveryChannel>
   <DeliveryChannelName>SMTPChannel</DeliveryChannelName>
   <ProtocolName>SMTP</ProtocolName>
   <Arguments>
    <Argument>
     <Name>SmtpServer</Name>
     <Value>localhost</Value>
    </Argument>
    <Argument>
     <Name>Bod oding</Name>
     <Value>utf-8</Value>
    </Argument>
   </Arguments>
  </DeliveryChannel>

ADF settings:
<Protocol>
     <ProtocolName>SMTP</ProtocolName>
     <Fields>
      <Field>
       <FieldName>Subject</FieldName>
       <SqlExpression>
        <!-- Subject here -->
       </SqlExpression>
      </Field>
      <Field>
       <FieldName>From</FieldName>
       <SqlExpression>
        <!-- email address here -->
       </SqlExpression>
      </Field>
      <Field>
       <FieldName>To</FieldName>
       <SqlExpression>
        DeviceAddress
       </SqlExpression>
      </Field>
      <Field>
       <FieldName>Priority</FieldName>
       <SqlExpression>
        N&apos;Normal&apos;
       </SqlExpression>
      </Field>
      <Field>
       <FieldName>BodyFormat</FieldName>
       <SqlExpression>
        N&apos;text&apos;
       </SqlExpression>
      </Field>
     </Fields>
    </Protocol>

In the path where our stylesheet's are stored we have a folder for each
DeviceTypeName (SMTP, MobileEmail) with the appropriate stylesheet templates
in them.

Hopefully this helps you, or others.

news:%[email protected]