Distributor slows to an imperceptable crawl (weekly or so)

Subject: Distributor slows to an imperceptable crawl weekly or so
From: "David"
Date: 26 Jan 2006 13:21:03 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
We have a notification services installation that stops performing (or
slows to an imperceptable crawl) almost weekly.

This week, the Distributor stops (or crawls at) generating work items.
We are getting plenty of seemingly valid notifications, but no work
items are assigned
We're hours behind now.

NSCreateDistributorWorkitems is running as  defined in the config (3

Only about 1 of 10 times run does it pick up a batch although there are
over 1000 batches in the generated state waiting to be distributed.

We're currently running with the default 3 threads in Enterprise
(We're in the process of increasing it).

We do have unused delivery channels (noted other thread indicating this
could be a problem).

We're pretty indepth NS users.  We need some good indepth guidance as
to what can make the distributor behave so.

Thanks in advance,