Re: Any way to configure ns not to run again to avaoid dupes

Subject: Re: Any way to configure ns not to run again to avaoid dupes
From: "Diane Larsen [MSFT]"
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 15:47:09 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
I'm not sure how you are collecting events. Notification Services itself
does not generate events. It just receives events from an event provider (or
they can be inserted into a view in SQL Server 2005), and the generator then
picks up batches of events to be processed.

It sounds like you are using an event chronicle as your event source. Event
chronicles are often used for scheduled subscriptions, which tend not to
have the issue with duplicate notifications. Of course, you can use
chronicles with event-driven notifications, but you need to include logic in
your event chronicle rules or subscription rules to avoid duplicate
notifications.

As for the event processing setting, if you are using SQL Server 2005, read
the topic titled "Specifying the Event Processing Order." The ADF element
for setting the event processing order is <ProcessEventsInOrder>. Setting
the value to true causes Notification Services to process individual event
batches in order. Setting it to false causes Notification Services to
process notifications using all event batches that arrived during the
quantum. I'm not sure this setting will help, but, then again, I don't quite
get how you are collecting events.

--
Diane Larsen [MSFT]
Technical Writer