Operator, dial 911 please

Subject: Operator, dial 911 please
From: "Sanjeev"
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 15:21:09 +0200
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs

I am trying to set up an operator using SQL Server 2000 to send email alerts
when a certain job has failed.

When i go to the properties of the operator and click the three dots next to
the email name I get the error message below
"unable to logon to mail system. you should open a mail client(microsoft
outlook or microsoft exchange client) to use this service"
However, I have microsoft outlook installed which sends and receives mail
without any problems.
Plus I did set up a mail profile which I tested and it gave the following
"Successfully started(and stopped) a mail session with this profile."

Then I pressed the test button next to the three dots and it came up with
this error message
"Error 22022 :SQLServerAgent Error : The SQLServerAgent mail session is not
running;check the mail profile and/or the SQLServerAgent service startup
account in the SQLServerAgent properties dialog"

The error message in the SQL Server agent log reads
"[355] The mail system failed to initialize; check that a mail client been

Any ideas how to sove this one?