Email confirmation? Bounced email? What to do?

Subject: Email confirmation? Bounced email? What to do?
Date: 12 Dec 2005 12:59:30 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
Is there any functionality to allow users to...
A) sign up for a subscription
B) receive an initial email describing what they've signed up for, with
a confirmation link
C) they click to confirm - AT THIS POINT they are added as a subscriber

instead of all the samples...where they just add themselves as a
subscriber and away they go.

Also, how does a large organization handle bad emails.  Say you have
20,000 people sign up for something.  In a year or two, there will
probably be 2000 bad emails in there.  Maybe they quit their job, or
changed ISP's...whatever.  But how does notification services account
for that?  I'm predicting that the answer will be - "NS isn't
responsible for anything after it heads off to SMTP".  But my server
group isn't going to allow my NS app to hammer their mail throughput
every day with bad email addresses.  Any ideas?