Problem with Windows Server 2003 SP1

Subject: Problem with Windows Server 2003 SP1
From: "Hilda"
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 15:11:02 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
We have a notification service application, working in our development and
testing environments. Our application uses different protocols, including
SMTP for sending notifications.
Some days ago, we detected an error in the development environment, like this:

Event Type:      Error
Event Source:   NotificationServices
Event Category:            None
Event ID:          7301
Date:                10/27/2005
Time:                10:09:33 AM
User:                N/A
Computer:        XXXX
<NotificationServicesEvent>
            <Description>
                        The e-mail address or SMTP server value is not valid.
            </Description>
            <Context>
<EventParameters>
            <Smtp server>YYYY</Smtp server>
            <Message recipients>[email protected];</Message recipients>
</EventParameters>

            </Context>
            <Description>
                        Exception has been thrown by the target of an
invocation.
            </Description>
            <Description>
                        The specified procedure could not be found.

            </Description>
            <Instance>AAAinstance</Instance>
            <Component>Other</Component>
            <ComponentDetails>
ComponentName: SmtpProtocol
            </ComponentDetails>
            <Thread>19</Thread>
</NotificationServicesEvent>

Followed by this other error:

Event Type:      Error
Event Source:   NotificationServices
Event Category:            None
Event ID:          6043
Date:                10/27/2005
Time:                10:09:34 AM
User:                N/A
Computer:        XXXX
<NotificationServicesEvent>
            <Description>
                        A delivery failure was reported.
            </Description>
            <Context>
<EventParameters>
            <Distributor Id>1</Distributor Id>
            <Distributor Name>AAADist1</Distributor Name>
            <Delivery Channel Name>EmailChannel</Delivery Channel Name>
            <Notification Id>22</Notification Id>
            <NotificationClassName>BBBNotifications</NotificationClassName>
            <Notification Status Info>The e-mail address or SMTP server
value is not valid.
Smtp server: YYYY
Message recipients: [email protected];</Notification Status Info>
            <Notification Text>Notification Message Text</Notification Text>
            <Notification Sent Time>10/27/2005 4:09:33 PM</Notification Sent
Time>
</EventParameters>

            </Context>
            <Instance>AAAinstance</Instance>
            <ApplicationName>AAA</ApplicationName>
            <Component>Distributor</Component>
            <ComponentDetails>
DistributorName: AAADist1
            </ComponentDetails>
            <Thread>19</Thread>
</NotificationServicesEvent>

We checked the obvious things like the SMTP server state and the e-mail
address. Both environments use the same SMTP server, and the testing
environment is working right and the e-mail address is ok. Then we compared
the distribution servers and we detect the unique difference is that we have
installed the Windows Server 2003 sp 1 in our development environment.

So we proceed to install that service pack in the testing environment. We
could reproduce the same error in our testing environment. Now we know the
error is related to the service pack, but we donât know how to solve it.

Also, if we use our distributor server as SMTP server (localhost), the mails
are sent, but we need to use the other SMTP server, because our production
environment works in this way.

We donât have more clues and we couldnât find information about this on the
Internet.

Some body can help us?