nscontrol update on SQL 2005 never ends

Subject: nscontrol update on SQL 2005 never ends
From: "Vince Sefcik"
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 09:08:44 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
I have an application that has run under NS 2.0 for over a year.  I updated
it many times using "nscontrol update" without a problem.  I recently
converted the application to NS 2005 ande SQL Server 2005.  After making the
necessary changes (e.g., change Notify function to Insert Into), I was able
to run "nscontrol create" and built the instance and application databases,
added a subscriber and subscription and it ran fine.

I then needed to update the application using "nscontrol update" and
nscontrol never completes.  Regardless of whether I run nscontrol as a
command-line or via Management Studio, the same happens: I get the message
"Examining instance : ...", CPU cycles at 15%-40% (used by sqlservr.exe) and
the process never ends.  If I kill the process, re-enable all components and
restart the Windows instance service, it works fine (with the configuration
prior to running "nscontrol update").  If I recreate the databases using
"nscontrol delete" and "nscontrol create", everthing works OK. But,
"nscontrol update" never gets past the "Examining instance" step.

I'm using SQL Server 2005 Developer edition.

Any suggestions on how to track down why "nscontrol update" never gets past
"Examining instance.."?