[Top] [All Lists]

Re: modified sample app, NS2005, but will not load events

Subject: Re: modified sample app, NS2005, but will not load events
From: Joe Webb
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 08:41:19 -0600
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
Thanks for posting the solutions. And yes, As you've discovered XML is
case sensitive. 

Joe Webb
SQL Server MVP

Get up to speed quickly with SQLNS 

I support PASS, the Professional Association for SQL Server.

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 11:29:48 -0600, ""
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Ahh, so simple. I matched the case in the event.xml file, then all is well.
>  <Event>
>had to be changed to
>   <event>
>"" <[email protected]> wrote in message 
>news:[email protected]
>>I have looked for other messages to help me track down my problem here. 
>>Thanks to Joe, Kate, and others for posting good info. I used the verbose 
>>logging feature to help me track this down.
>> Basically I modified the Newsletter sample app. I have the new instance 
>> and app config files working and created my instance. I'm trying to submit 
>> a modified event xml file to the <events> subdirectory. The filewatcher 
>> correctly picks it up but no notification comes out. By setting the 
>> EventCollector logging level to 4 (verbose) I have discovered one 
>> difference. The sample generates 3 events, my modified NSapp generates 4. 
>> The difference is an event that reports"The EventLoader object found no 
>> events in the given file or stream." This is the next to last event of 4, 
>> the last one goes back to the filesystemwatcher and reports that it 
>> submitted events but the count of events is zero.
>> I've also tried some other verbose logging. Wow, the generator is busy. 
>> Too much information. Oh, and of course I learned that the config settings 
>> are only applied when you restart the instance. Tried EventProvider too, 
>> no event log entries for that switch.
>> So, I'm keying in on the EventLoader object. I looked up the 
>> EventLoader.LoadXML method and realize that the two inputs of concern are 
>> the xml document and the xsd schema. Here are my two modified files that 
>> don't seem to want to get loaded into the application database. First xml 
>> and then xsd:
>> -----------------------------------------
>> <EventData>
>>    <Event>
>>        <Location>DeForest</Location>
>>        <RequestType>Radio</RequestType>
>>        <Severity>Critical</Severity>
>>    </Event>
>> </EventData>
>> -------------------------------------------
>> <xsd:schema xmlns:xsd=""; 
>> xmlns:sql="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:mapping-schema">
>> <xsd:element name="event" sql:relation="EquipmentEvents">
>>  <xsd:complexType>
>>   <xsd:sequence>
>>    <xsd:element name="Location" type="xsd:string" />
>>    <xsd:element name="RequestType" type="xsd:string" />
>>    <xsd:element name="Severity" type="xsd:string" />
>>   </xsd:sequence>
>>  </xsd:complexType>
>> </xsd:element>
>> </xsd:schema>
>> -----------------------------------------
>> If anyone has other tips for troubleshooting this problem, mucho gracias.
>> And if I get it figured out, I will post it.
>> Bill

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>