Re: Modifying the design of NS

Subject: Re: Modifying the design of NS
From: Joe Webb
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 06:56:50 -0600
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
Hi R.D. -

Nothing like inheriting an application from someone!  :)

>I Wonder to see a Notification Services application that does not use Notify
>function.
All versions for SQL Server 2000 must use the provided Notify()
function. SQLNS 2005 provides views that we can use in the matching
rules.  A *much* better way in terms of performance and cleanliness of
design IMHO.

>The NotificationsGenerate sproc which is used by the sql provider direcly
>inserts into another table and these notifications are sent using dbmail. I
>am new here and the reason that is given by my predecessor is that NS does
>not have capacity to send notifications in different times.( But that has
>been clarified by webb and Kate that it is possible)

Right, I don't think the application you're describing is making full
use of the capabilities of SQLNS.

>Another anomoly I found is that Notifications Chronicle and Events Chronicle
>which are configured in adf has thousands of rows. These two tables are used
>to compare the present value with previous value.

Not entirely bad. Chron tables are frequently used to ensure that
extraneous notifications are not generated.

>I am almost convinced that The notification services is underutilised as it
>is used only to run sprocs regulary( as no notify and no delivery)

Agreed.

>Transaction Based events are triggered when even they occur.(like birth days)
>Threshold base events are triggered when even it reaches the threshold(say
>your spend has reached 90% budget)

No problem. Both are great candidates for subscriptions using SQLNS.

>I would like bunch all the notifications pertaining to all applications and
>send one notification regulary( monthly,quartely,daily as choosen by the
>subscriber)

You can use scheduled subscriptions and define the interval
accordingly. You can also use digest delivery to group notifications
from a single batch in one notification. Digest delivery is set per
Notification class.

>I would also like to use Notify function and also capacity of NS to send
>mails.

You can and should use SQLNS to handle notification generation and
distribution. However it won't be with the Notify() function if you're
using 2005. Use the views instead.

HTH...

--
Joe Webb