Re: Delivery Channels and Protocols

Subject: Re: Delivery Channels and Protocols
From: "Shyam Pather [MSFT]"
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 11:42:34 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
I've been out of commission for a little while and I've just caught up on
this thread now. I'll try to explain how the device name/type/channel thing

The DeviceTypeName is just a string that you use to identify a particular
type of device in your application. You can use whatever value you choose -
they just have to be well understood within your application.

DeviceTypeName is not tied to the delivery protocol name. The delivery
protocol name just identifies a particular protocol implementation to use.
This can be a built-in protocol or a custom delivery protocol.

You configure one or more delivery channels that use the delivery protocols.
The delivery channels identify specific endpoints and include
configuration/addressing information for those endpoints.

In your match rules, you specify the subscriber Id and device name for each
notification. These are used to look up the corresponding subscriber device
record. The device type from this record is passed, along with the
notification data, to the content formatter, which uses this to do
device-specific formatting. In the case of the XSLT formatter, this is used
to pick an XSLT file from an appropriately named directory.

The delivery channel name specified in the subscriber device record
identifies a delivery channel. The distributor passes the formatted
notification data to a protocol object (of the type specified in the
delivery channel definition) configured to send to the endpoint that the
delivery channel represents.

In short, here's how to get mails delivered using the standard SMTP
protocol, formatted for a variety of device types:
-Create as many SMTP delivery channels as you have SMTP servers you send to.
Every subscriber device must be configured to one of these delivery channel
and specify some device type.
-Create XSLTs for each device type you support and place them in the
appropriate subdirectories.
-Make sure your match rules specify the right device name for each

Hope this helps. All of this is explained in more detail in chapters 9 and
10 of my book.
Learn more about SQL-NS:
news:eUbPiO%[email protected]