Re: Using fields with Text 'datatype'

Subject: Re: Using fields with Text 'datatype'
From: "Andy"
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 10:01:47 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
I am not sure what datatypes are allowed, but in order to update a text field you have to do some funky stuff like setting a pointer to where to start.

VarChar will allow up to 8000 characters, but that is limited based on other columns defined and their width. The data page is 8K.

Are you using SQL 2000 or 2005? 2005 allows for you to have XML datatypes. The only limit is a 2 GB storage space for XML data, which I would hope you don't exceed.
"Yogesh K." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:%[email protected]...
Hi,

I have a requriement where the I need to push the information to the "text" field.
When I tried to modify the structure of the events table. It gave me a following error.

C:\SS_Argos_Rakya\NotificationService\ApplicationDefinitionFile\ArgosRAPADF.xml(

508,4): error NS9116: The field type is not valid. Field type must be one of the

 standard SQL Server types but may not be text, ntext, image or sql_variant.

FieldName: RuleSet

FieldType: text

EventClassName: RuleSetEvents

I cannot put varchar or char datatype... as the information can have details more than 4000 characters.
I need the table datatype to be text, so what could be a work around for this.

Regards,
Yogesh kadalgikar