Re: Multiple devices for a subscription

From: Joe Webb
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 08:13:45 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
Wayne -

If you're using 2005, there are some new views that allow you to
create subscribers, devices, and subscription data without going
through the API.  So you could create a connection to SQL Server and
issue something like:

INSERT INTO NSInstance.NSSubscriberView (SubscriberId, Enabled)
VALUES (N'[email protected]', 1)

You could create a transaction object to handle that aspect of it.

If you're using SQL Server NS 2000, then your options are more
limited. You could use the API to create the the subscriber, device,
and subscriptions and at the conclusion check to make sure everything
was created appropriately. If not back out.

This scenario doesn't handle a crashed SQL Server, so you'd probably
want to implement some kind of periodic checking of the subscriptions
- a scheduled task to kick off periodically to make sure each
subscriber has a subscription for each device. Not perfect, but
probably as close as you can get without either 2005 or going through
the sprocs.

HTH....

--
Joe Webb