Re: NS API Question

Subject: Re: NS API Question
From: "Andy"
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 09:29:13 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
Yes I am familar with how web services work, but just to keep the web
servers clean the idea was to have the .Net 1.1 apps call to the SQL box for
the API's that were wrapped as a web service. Since I have not been able to
get SQL to register and assembly that I can expose as a UDF, which then
could be exposed as an endpoint, we for now are resorting to installing IIS
that will be the webservice. I really don't want to have to register the
assembly in the GAC, but that seems like another way to get things done.

We are trying to get our prototype up and going before the .Net 2.0 is
release as gold code. We have a limited number of develop boxes, so we don't
want to install beta software everywhere that may cause a complete rebuild
when gold code is available. Once the gold code is available, then the web
servers will have the NS API installed and they will make the calls that
way. Our system will be physically separated, so the idea was to just have a
WS on the NS box which is remote. Otherwise the API is making a remote call
over firewalls etc, so we would probably be better served to use WS.

This is all more than you really were looking for, but just thought I would
lay it on the line. I guess we should pose some of this discussion to our
TAP channels.

news:[email protected]