Re: Looking for a sample application

Subject: Re: Looking for a sample application
From: Joe Webb
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 06:55:12 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
Hi Yogesh -

>  a.. There is table Say employee (with the information frequently keeps
> changing).
The SQL Server Event Provider is designed to periodically monitor a
table, looking for modifications. If changes are found, the
information gets submitted as events to the SQLNS app. (You as the
developer defined exactly how changes are recognized) How often is
"frequently". And more importantly, how quickly do you need to know
about it? If you absolutely have to know with a second or two, then
SQLNS may not be for you. SQLNS can notify you in a timely manner, but
not guaranteed to be within a second or two.

>  b.. There is another application interested in knowing the information thats
> modified
> at every moment the information undergoes change. say some kind of
> notification.
No problem. With a bit of custom programming, another application can
be the recipient of notifications.

>  c.. The subscriber application wants information built in some object form
> (say in XML or event object).
You can format the message as an XML doc using a custom content
formatter.

> I working over to implement solution from scratch. I went with the samples
> provided with Notification services. It doesnt provide any samples that
> explains
> any usage of custom api's. I am a newbie to SQL Server Notifications and
> would
> be really thankful if I could get some exhaustive information to work around
> my
> application.

Get Shyam Pather's book on SQLNS. It discusses creating custom content
formatters, etc. It's a great resource.

Having said all this, Query Notifications in SQL Server 2005 may be
something worth investigating too. It may be an even better tool for
your scenario.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvs05/html/querynotification.asp

HTH....

--