Re: Monitoring of Replication using dev tools

Subject: Re: Monitoring of Replication using dev tools
From: Joe Webb
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 05:55:22 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs, microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming, microsoft.public.sqlserver.replication
Nigel -

SQLNS provides a couple of functionalities that may do what you're

First the built-in SQL Server Event Provider periodically checks a
table to see if there have been any changes to the rows. (Yes, it's
technically polling but you don't have to worry with the interval,
etc, SQLNS handles it for you.)  Using T-SQL you as the developer
determine how those changes are to be recognized. The second way
involves using some SQLNS provided procedures in a trigger for the
data table.

Either way, events are raised in the SQLNS application and subscribers
can be notified via the built-in SMTP protocol or a custom protocol
that you develop (i.e. a protocol that would communicate some

Joe Webb
SQL Server MVP

Get up to speed quickly with SQLNS