Re: Pause/Continue distribution, content formatting or deliverin

Subject: Re: Pause/Continue distribution, content formatting or deliverin
From: "kate"
Date: 12 Jul 2005 23:21:10 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
Some other thoughts from our own experience. Assuming you have multiple
subscriptions for each Site_ID. If you want to stop the notifications
for a given Site_ID temporarily because for example the recipients have
requested it you could use the approach we do in our own product.

ResponseTime extends Notification Services to offer dynamic
personalised notifications which can be selectively switched on and off
at any time without rebuilding the system. It includes additional
downstream user-driven rules, based on the event payload, so that
notifications can be adjusted on the fly to filter for for particular
data values, again without rebuilding the system.

So if you wanted to stop notifications for site=2 only, you could apply
that with a single click and then reinstate them later.

If your objective is to suspend the notifications until some later time
then you could use the chronicles table to record all the events
(providing that it is not swept by the vacuumer) but there is no real
provision for suspending batches in NS as it purges itself regularly
for performance reasons.

If you really need to suspend selected messages, then best to send all
the notifications to an xml file drop with a custom protocol (supported
as standard in ResponseTime) and then use your own code to decide which
messages to forward immediately and which to deal with later. If all
the messages are for one group of internal business users,  rather than
sending them as seperate messages, pull the file drop results into an
intranet page for them to browse at their leasure