Re: Error while initialising Custom Event Provider

Subject: Re: Error while initialising Custom Event Provider
From: Joe Webb
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 05:46:17 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
Chris -

Here's an excerpt from the SQLNS readme file that explains .net
framework versioning when building custom components.

4.15 Using Custom Components Built With Version 1.1.4322 of
     the .NET Framework
Notification Services 2.0 SP1 is built using the 1.0.3705
version of the .NET Framework. By default, Notification
Services attempts to load and use this version. If a custom
component is built using version 1.1.4322 of the .NET
Framework, this version is also loaded. When Notification
Services and the component use different versions of the .NET
Framework, differences in the class libraries can cause
application errors, such as the following:

 * 2009: Notification Services failed to instantiate the event
         provider.
 * 6005: The assembly does not contain the required content
         formatter class.

To resolve these errors, build custom components using version
1.0.3705 of the .NET Framework. To do this, add the directory
containing the 1.0.3705 assemblies to the references path for
the custom components project.

If you must build custom components with version 1.1.4322 of the
.NET Framework, you can force Notification Services to use the
same version. To do this, add a <startup> node to the
NSService.exe.config file, which is in the vN.N.N.N\Bin folder
of Notification Services. The following example shows the file
with the <startup> node:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<configuration>
    <startup>
        <supportedRuntime version="v1.1.4322"/>
        <supportedRuntime version="v1.0.3705"/>
    </startup>
    <system.diagnostics>
        <switches>
            <add name="LogAdministrative" value="2"/>
            <add name="LogService" value="2"/>
            <add name="LogEventProvider" value="2"/>
            <add name="LogEventCollector" value="2"/>
            <add name="LogGenerator" value="2"/>
            <add name="LogDistributor" value="2"/>
            <add name="LogVacuumer" value="2"/>
            <add name="LogOther" value="2"/>
            <add name="LogPerformanceMonitor" value="2"/>
        </switches>
    </system.diagnostics>
</configuration>

The <supportedRuntime> elements restrict the versions of the
.NET Framework that Notification Services can use. The order of
the listed versions determines the order in which Notification
Services attempts to load the .NET Framework versions. In the
example above, Notification Services will first attempt to load
version 1.1.4322 of the .NET Framework. If it is not available,
Notification Services will attempt to load version 1.0.3705 of
the .NET Framework.

You must restart the NS$<instance_name> service to apply changes
made to NSService.exe.config.

HTH...

--
Joe Webb