Re: Chronicles

Subject: Re: Chronicles
From: "Shyam Pather [MSFT]"
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 11:05:56 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
Hello,
I seem to remember you saying you had a copy of my book. If that's so,
you'll find a detailed discussion of chronicles in Chapter 6. They're also
covered in the books online and, I think, the stock sample that comes with
the product.

The gist of it is that you can define arbitrary tables to hold state for
your application. Chronicles can be associated with event classes or
subscription classes. Event class chronicles are updated by chronicle rules
that you define in the ADF as part of the event class. These rules look
similar to match rules, but rather than generating notifications, they
simply update whatever state you keep in your chronicle tables, based on the
latest event data. Subscription chronicles are updated as part of the
regular match rules.

To handle the duplicate notifications scenario as you've described it, you
could keep a subscription chronicle that holds information about which
subscribers were notified about what. You update this table every time you
generate a notification. In your match rule, you join in this table and use
it to filter out rows that you don't need to notify about again. There are
many variations of this e.g. never send duplicates, send a duplicate if a
certain amount of time has elapsed, send a duplicate if some data value has
changed beyond a threshold etc. All can be handled via chronicles.
-shyam

--
Learn more about SQL-NS:
news:[email protected]