Re: timeout error

Subject: Re: timeout error
From: "Shyam Pather [MSFT]"
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 10:28:21 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
The SQL server is too busy to respond to the request in adequate time. There
are two approaches to solving this:

1. Reduce the load on the SQL server
2. Increase the timeout for the command.

I would suggest going down the path of (1) before attempting (2). Just
blindly increasing the timeout can mask a real problem.

The easiest way to reduce load on a production system is to turn off the
distributor's logging options (on by default). To do this, edit the ADF and
set the <LogBeforeDeliveryAttempts>, <LogNotificationText>, and
<LogStatusInfo> to false (these are all documented in Books Online). You
still get basic logging for status tracking purposes, but this removes a lot
of extra logging that puts load on the server.

You should also look at whether you have the right indexes on your event and
subscription classes so that your match rules execute efficiently. You can
add index creation statements right in the ADF - look at the
<IndexSqlSchema> elements.

If you need to increase the timeout for the distributor commands, you need
to specify the <WorkItemTimeout> element in the ADF and set it to a value
larger than the default (15 minutes).
Hope this helps.
-shyam
--
Learn more about SQL-NS:
"Balaji Ramachandran" <[email protected]> wrote