Re: Lots of blocking from SQLNS

Subject: Re: Lots of blocking from SQLNS
From: Joe Webb
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 22:09:28 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
Hi Brooks -

It's good to have apps that run without problem for so long without
problems that you almost forget about them.  :)

I'm assuming you're using SQLNS 2.0 SP1. Are you running Standard
Edition or Enterprise?

What's the QuantumDurantion for the Generator?

What about for the Distributor? (When the Distributor component is
idle, you can control how often it checks for work items to process by
adjusting the <QuantumDuration> element in the <Distributor> node of
the ADF. This *only* effects the Distributor when it's idle. As long
as it's processing work items, it'll keep checking before going into
an idle state.)

How many Delivery Channels do you have defined for the protocols
supported by the Notification Class? The more Delivery Channels, the
more possible work items that will be created. Each is considered
independent and will be processed in parallel.

How many Distributors do you have defined? And what's the

Have you adjusted the Notification Batch Size (assuming Enterprise

Other general performance considerations:  Scheduled the vacuumer to
run periodically during non-peak times to clean up old data and
curtail distributor logging.

Joe Webb
SQL Server MVP

Get up to speed quickly with SQLNS