Re: How to create the NS Application?

Subject: Re: How to create the NS Application?
From: Joe Webb
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 07:09:13 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.sqlserver.notificationsvcs
The samples that come with NS are good examples of how a developer would use solutions to develop a NS instance and application. But, again, there is no project template for NS. It's just a convenient place to work.
What I typically do is open a blank VS.NET project and add a couple of
XML documents to it. These become my instance and ADF files. I then use
a stripped down XML document (derived from the stock example, for
instance) as the basis for these file by copying and pasting.
Bat, vbs, etc files are not required, just helpful. I typically use bat
files to "compile" or update the XML docs. For example, my
"NSUpdate.bat" file looks something like...

NET STOP ns$InstanceName

NSControl disable -name InstanceName

NSControl update -in "C:\Data\SQLNS\InstanceConfig.xml" -verbose -force SqlServer=Aspen BaseDirectoryPath="C:\Data\SQLNS" NSHost=%ComputerName%

I add other files to the project as needed (XSD, XSLT, etc)

I use the C# application I mentioned in an earlier post to add subscribers, subscriptions, etc.

Joe Webb
SQL Server MVP

Get up to speed quickly with SQLNS

[email protected] wrote:
Thank you for the responce, but ........ How to create the NS Application? You open any example (Flight, Wheather, Realtor, etc) - it's a solution with specific structure and special settings. Like when I build the example solution it actually goes through some bat files. I expected to choose from some menu "Create New Project / NS Application" and it will create for me the new blank solution so I can proceed to filling up the ADF file.
My feeling is that all that(writing ADF, config and Bat
files) is manual work in the Notepad.